Monday, November 25, 2013

Gone Gluten Free: GF Tortilla Soup...

It's now officially cold here in north-central Texas. Time for chicken soup--TexMex style...Oh and Gluten Free too!

1. Assemble the ingredients: we'll
need a can of chunk white chicken; two cups of chicken broth (stock is fine); a can of Rotel (I used a generic here); three cubes of Pop&Cook brand Cilantro; half a tea spoon of sea salt; I also grabbed the Mrs. Dash for rounding out the flavor (watch this stuff...I nearly burnt The Fabulous Feathermaye's mouth out...this one contains both black pepper and cayenne); Bird's Eye blend (bell peppers, celery, onion blend); an avocado; and of course, a few gluten free tortilla chips (here I'm using some leftover 'South of the Border' brand, which is all corn and totally gluten free.


2. Let's get started: mix canned chicken, rotel, cilantro, salt, Mrs. Dash and veggies in your pot.  Bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  I find that it's done when the celery is relatively tender--you be the judge--this is a quicky recipe, so you don't need to go all OCD here... 

3. While the soup's cooking: crunch
best way to cube an avocado
just toss them over the chips
your tortilla chips into your bowl and then cube your avocado...Drop those cubes right on top of the chips.

When the soup's ready, ladle it right over your chips and avocado cubes.  I like to toss a couple of slices of Jack Cheese along side, or even over the top if you want it all melty-like.

*Note* I made this one twice in the last couple of weeks. The first one I took care with the
amount of spice. The Fabulous Feathermaye loved it! She raved about it on facebook.  This last one, I wasn't as careful; I used regular rotel (instead of mild) and found out that the Mrs. Dash I liberally shook into the pot contained the aforementioned cayanne & black pepper.  She was not amused...

I'll used caution from now on with my ingredients,
and not just to make sure they are all Gluten Free, but the correct amount of spice/heat as well.  Otherwise, I'm standing in the three foot flame.  That will burn anyone's ass.  But, that's another blog altogether...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

Images used on this site are a combination of search results and personal photography; we in no way intend to infringe upon any rights. As applicable, our 2011 (c) belongs to one or more of the following: S. Bond Herndon, Heather Hyde-Herndon, feathermaye. If you feel you have a claim to any image used on this site, please feel free to contact us at query@feathermayemultimedia.com

 
Powered by Blogger