Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And now, the waiting…

Our mother has had several heart attacks and strokes. As with her father, she’s battled for the last several years, knowing, as I have found myself: you cannot out run your family history.

In the middle of the morning, something like three am, Janice called to let me know that Momma has endured yet another stroke, this one, we’re told, she won’t come back from. Her frontal lobe is gone, so even if she remains, the wonderful woman who went through so much to see us all through life, has spoken her last words, given her last loving touches and heart-calming smiles.

There are tough decisions to make now, for all of us. Lisa, who we handed over the power of attorney, did not like the idea of DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), but when we spoke this morning, she sounded confident, and understood how keeping a body alive offers little in the way of life for our mother.

Janice sees this daily; it’s her job and she’s damn good at it. Thanks goodness we have both of our capable sisters there with her when she needs them the most.

Johnny is in the midst of finishing his diving certification; he invested a lot of time and a great deal of money to make this dramatic change in his life. He sounded flat when we spoke; he was changing the brakes on Steph’s car so she and the boys can head back up to Gastonia. Johnny will stay until the final word comes and we are left with making the rest of the tough choices.

And, now I wait as well. Houston feels like a million miles from nowhere at a time like this. I want to drop it all and rush my ass out there; but I know, other than what words I might be able to say in parting, there is little else that I could do. Like Johnny, I’m pretty much stuck until it’s over. Distance, time, work and sadly, money, have to call the shots for those of us left mourning, and living. It’s heartbreaking, to say the least.

Janice told me yesterday about what she’s had to deal with over the last few years. As Momma’s Alzheimer’s progressed, she would go into what was explained to me as ‘An Alzheimer’s Loop’, a mental state in which the patient has become mentally trapped within a memory of their life. It replays, over and over. So, she began to work with her, once she got over the painful moments of having your own mother look at you as if you were a stranger.

But Janice, soldier that she is, kept her chin up and plowed in, asking Momma questions about the time period her mind was stuck within. She learned to ask certain questions that held facts of our mother’s life, facts we’re all familiar with.

“Hey, Momma?” She would ask. “Who did you head-butt in the third grade?”

Momma always smiles for this one, no matter how far away her mind was at the moment. “Oh, that was just John Rush Herndon…” She would answer, drifting mentally back to the age of nine. “He’s cute.”

The idea that our parents knew each other, literally grew up together is so uncommon today that it just seems old fashioned; but that was the time they emerged from.

Slowly, Janice would talk about other times, gradually coming forward through the years until she had our mother talking about her kids… “Scott’s out in Texas, and Lisa married Robbie, they got a pool now. Johnny’s gone to Florida, gonna be a diver. And Janice…”

As soon as she would say her name, Momma’s eyes would go wide as she looked at her own daughter, standing there in scrubs and holding her hands. “That’s you!”

“That’s right…” Janice would tell her and smile. Then, for a while at least, our mother would pop back up like a cork in a barrel and carry on a conversation. I have to admire my sisters for their persistence; had Momma not known me, the few times I’ve been able to see her over the last ten years, I’m quite sure it would have wrecked me for good.

Now, I can see just how long a day is, when you wait for the inevitable. I’ve done it before and it is never pleasant. I have the love of my family, my children, my grandchild and especially my wife, whose birthday, bless your heart, (happy 40th, honey!) coincides with all this sadness.

For the moment, if you all would help me out here, I’d love to hear back from as many of you as possible, any of you that had her as a teacher over the years; we’d love to hear about moments you shared with her as well. We are a story-telling family, and more than anything, we enjoy the telling and hearing about our own.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i don't want you to freak out or anything, but i'm here. not sure how. i just have to say, the way you tell it is lovely, it warms my heart a lot. anyway, i think your awesome 9don't know if people still say that, but you know what i mean). love you all, janice

Suzanne Hartsell Whitaker said...

I remember your mom calling me to help Johnny during the summer after his 4th grade...we worked "crossword" puzzles I designed for him to help him enjoy reading. Your mom thought I was great! I thought she was the hero! Also Janice was with me went they took my Dad off life support. Right before that,she said, I know you,do you remember Janice Herndon? I looked up and saw her just as I remembered her from way back when...If she hadn't been there, I probably would have walked out of the room, but with her support, I stood there with my Pop, while they un-hooked him, all but his oxygen...If I have never thanked you Janice,
please remember it was.and still is one of the mose defining momemts of my life. Today. my Mom battles dimentia/alzheimers~ total confusion. She knows me but her sentences don't make any sense and I just have to decipher what I think she's talking about. My prayers are with you tonight, and tomorrow, and always as you all go through this with your own Mom, my hero, Mrs. Herndon.

bill keith said...

Scotty,

I'm going to try and do this in installments; as you well know, you start with one memory and 19 others suddenly appear from the past.
What I will always admire about your mom is how
she held her own in two of the most masculine
arenas (at that time): medicine and football. She was the ultimate doctor's wife....backing him up
and shouldering the child rearing as he developed
his practice, yet able to "put on the dog" when
it came to impressing hospital brass and other
big wigs. Then, handling all of your practices, games, and travel with the illustrious national
champion SABC squad. That was when we really started to become friends, and though I was as far
removed from that world as a tadpole is to trigonometry, I'll always appreciate the way
your mom, dad, Tommy Sherman and his folks made
me feel that my friendship was worthy enough of
inclusion into your group of friends.

bil keith said...

The other memorable thing about your mom was that
she had the soul and talent of an artist. She could draw, paint and I remember her actually asking our opinions about a novel she was writing. She treated us seriously in that regard; in fact, she always had
a knack for treating us as equals in conversation....her with a cigarette and cup of coffee and us with a coke or gatorade at hand.
I'll admit even in high school, she had reason to be impressed with our literary inclinations.
Our group was mightily invested in such authors as Conroy, Wambaugh, Gent...not really what you might expect from the Gardner Park contingent but
there we were...sharing books, adopting phrases
(remember "skrote"?), being fucking INSPIRED by
literature that spoke to us! I think your mom read
the books, recognized that we might have something
between our ears more than mush, and decided to engage us as equals. What a boost that was for all of us at the time.

Zara Karim said...

Hi,

This is Zara Karim. This is my second time to your blog and I am highly impressed by the quality of writing and freshness of content. I would like to be in touch with you. My email address is zarakarim9@gmail.com. It would be an honor for me.

Regards

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

Images used on this site are a combination of search results and personal photography; we in no way intend to infringe upon any rights. As applicable, our 2011 (c) belongs to one or more of the following: S. Bond Herndon, Heather Hyde-Herndon, feathermaye. If you feel you have a claim to any image used on this site, please feel free to contact us at query@feathermayemultimedia.com

 
Powered by Blogger