Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Film Review: I Ain't In It For My Health a film about Levon Helm

I grew up listening, and emulating Levon Helm.

When I pick up a guitar and warm up my fingers and voice, it is with "The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down"; in the background of my mind, I hear Levon's version playing, and I'm just singing along.

Ain't In It for My Health
is a film about Levon's life; his days playing drums and singing lead for The Band, and his last days of struggle with the cancer that took him from us in the end.  

Many of you will remember him as Loretta Lynn's father in
the film: Coal Miner's Daughter.  As with most of his roles, he's so good, so in character, that we forget he's the same guy who sang "Up on Cripple Creek".




 You may also remember his role as Chuck Yeager's wing man in "The Right Stuff".   


I'll always remember Levon from the first time I became aware of him: Singing tunes on a stage in front of half a million people at Woodstock.



Last night, I streamed "I Ain't In It For My Health" through my ROKU.  It was like watching an old friend; even more saddening to see how time and a life in the Music Industry along with cancer had taken its toll.  

Levon was fighting through the film, battling his voice, trying to get it so he could at least utter a familiar sound and not disappoint his fans.  Spliced with vintage footage of The Band, and peppered with heartfelt confessions about his financial struggles after they dismantled the group. 

This film takes us down memory road with an ICON of his time.  

Well worth the watch!  I gave it 4 of 5 stars.  

Levon Helm, ladies and gentlemen 1940-2012

Please feel free to comment below.  If you have a favorite memory of Levon Helm, be it a role he played in a film you enjoyed, or a splice of time that you were fortunate enough to see him playing live, share it with us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

Images used on this site are a combination of search results and personal photography; we in no way intend to infringe upon any rights. As applicable, our 2011 (c) belongs to one or more of the following: S. Bond Herndon, Heather Hyde-Herndon, feathermaye. If you feel you have a claim to any image used on this site, please feel free to contact us at query@feathermayemultimedia.com

 
Powered by Blogger